8.02.2011

Newport Folk Festival

I've wanted to go to Newport Folk Festival for years based on its history alone, and I was finally able to make it this summer!



The setting itself was so gorgeous - the festival takes place at Fort Adams State Park right on the ocean, so in between sets, we were able to relax on the dock and enjoy the oceanside. 

 The first day featured a lot more modern music - we caught Gogol Bordello, Tegan & Sara, and the Decemberists. 
 When we got to the festival the second day, we happened to be passing by the kids' tent and I noticed that Pete Seeger was performing children's songs, so I immediately dropped what I was doing and watched the rest of his set.  Pete Seeger is such a legend (and one of the original guys behind the festival!), so I was beyond thrilled to be able to say thank you to him for everything he's done. Plus, watching him act out nursery rhymes was definitely the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. 

After lunch, we watched Wanda Jackson's set.  I've been lucky enough to see her before, and she is just as cute (and talented!) as ever.  Besides, there's no such thing as hearing someone's first-hand account of going steady with Elvis too many times.  

Speaking of Elvis, Mr. Costello was next up!  It was my first time seeing him live after being a fan for over a decade, so it was a big deal to me.  He also had, by far, my favorite outfit of the festival.  You can always count on this guy to be impeccably clad!  Maybe I'll give him a "Dressing Like" feature later this week?

Towards the end of his set, he brought out Emmylou Harris for a duet and I died a little.  


Emmylou's solo performance was also incredible as well,  naturally.  Her voice is definitely in my top five!  

Pete Seeger closed the festival by leading everyone in sing-alongs of "Turn, Turn, Turn" and "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" featuring most of the acts from Sunday, including some whose sets I had to miss like M. Ward and Ramblin' Jack Elliott.  I definitely got emotional, and how could I not? So much peace and love!

2 comments:

  1. So jealous. I've always wanted to go (I live in Maine, so it isn't that far), but haven't made it yet. Next year, next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just looks so beautiful as well as having brilliant music!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...